Q: My truck rolls away without the hand brake on

when I when to a gas station I parked the mitzabishi fuso canter in park position without the handbreak on. I felt the hand break wasn`t needed as I thought the park break was sufficient, whilst I was in the store the truck rolled away and the wheels turned. How is this possible as I thought when the keys were removed (1)the steering lock would engage (2) the park break stops truck from moving. I do realise the hand break is an important part of the vehicle and I do use it when parking on a hill. thanks jimmy

A: If the vehicle has an automatic transmissio...

If the vehicle has an automatic transmission, when you put it in Park a parking brake pawl engages a gear on the driveshaft thus preventing any movement of the wheels. If the pawl is broken or slips out of position of course the vehicle will move. In addition, it is possible that the gearshift linkage is not properly adjusted and so the pawl was never even engaged. Both possibilities have to be looked at. It sounds like the column steering lock is faulty as well but that mechanism is separate from the parking pawl. An inspection of the parking brake by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, would reveal the root cause of the problem.