Q: Can't get an emissions test due to faulty plug

asked by on February 05, 2016

I have no power to the PCM or DLC to get an emissions test; the plug has no power. I checked the fuse and it is blown, but I can't get close with another fuse before it sparks. The cigarette lighter and DLC are on the same fuse, but I can't get the cigarette lighter out to replace it.

Hi! Since the power fuse was blown and your attempts to install a new fuse causes sparks, it would seem that there is a large draw or short on that power system. First, disconnect the ground cable to the battery and install the new fuse, then reinstall the ground cable to recheck the circuit. If the fuse blows again, then there is a significant short in that circuit and will require a skilled technician to diagnose and repair your blown fuse.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr