Q: My transmission is shifting hard and won't shift until I stop the car

When i drive it shift hard and it wont shift until I stop and start again wat seems to be the problem

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There may be a problem with the governor or VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) that is causing the transmission not to shift again until the vehicle comes to a stop. The pump pressure could be maxed out making all of the shifts hard. I recommend performing a transmission fluid and filter change and then rechecking these symptoms.

Sometimes dirty oil in the transmission can cause a lot of malfunctioning. If the fluid and filter is changed and the problem still exists, then the transmission would need a new governor or VSS and the pump would need to be checked for proper pressure. If the pressure is too high and your transmission is electronic, then the pressure regulator solenoid needs to be replaced.

If you need assistance with your transmission, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to service your transmission fluid and determine if there are any problems with other components on your car.