Q: My timing belt broke on my 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS,replace the belt but when started the car after it sounded like a lawn mower,

My timing belt broke replaced the timing belt,the person that put the timing belt on is a mechanic and personal friend, He didn't put all the parts back on just what he said be needed to see if the valves were possibly messed up,we started the car and it sounded like lawn mower, how would I know if its the valves or if the timing wasn't set correctly,and if t wasn't would it sound like that,if it is the valves how much would it cost to repair

This engine is an interference engine and this means that if the timing belt broke it will bend the valves and the valves or the head will need to be replaced. Sometimes the head gets damaged and will need a new head installed.

3. My timing belt broke on my 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS,replace the belt but when started the car after it sounded like a lawn mower,