Q: My tail lights stay on even after car is off. The hazard lights and turning signals all work but the brake lights do not.

My tail lights stay on even after car is off. The hazard lights and turning signals all work but the brake lights do not.

If the tail lights are illuminated even after you have used the on-off switch to command them off, that means the switch supplying power is fused shut and/or the circuit is being powered when it is not supposed to be due to a wiring fault. To resolve an issue such as that, the circuit powering the lights has to be traced, starting with the devices that should indeed be "off" if commanded off (such as the light switch, relay, etc.). If the brake lights are not functioning, it is possible the filaments in both bulbs are burned out and that possibility should be ruled out first. If the bulbs are OK, the brake light switch and the rest of the circuit will have to be traced. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical circuit diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this problem resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My tail lights stay on even after car is off. The hazard lights and turning signals all work but the brake lights do not.