Q: My SUV is making a wobble sound

My SUV has 60,000 miles on it. I have noticed a wobble sound coming from under the hood. The passenger side bank (under the hood) is making the noise and it sounds like a wobble. There is no sound coming from the other intake bank, just background noise. I am wondering if the turbo is going out, or if it is some sort of exhaust leak. Any ideas?

A: Hello. When you say a wobbling noise, I am ...

Hello. When you say a wobbling noise, I am assuming that you mean growling or moaning noise. Most of the time this is caused by a turbo failure or an intake leak. It is usually not from an exhaust leak.

I typically start by checking the intake tubes to make sure that they are tight. If they are, then I check the turbo also. If both of those look good, then it may be an internal issue. Most of the time it is a cam timing issue that is causing this, which can result in the engine needing to be rebuilt. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to listen to the vehicle and determine the cause of the sound.