Q: My steering assist, I believe, is going out at random in my 2006 Pontiac G6.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and I’m having a power steering problem that I’m led to believe was associated with a recall from 2014 that was revised to add more cars in 2015. The power steering assist is said to be possible to go out at any time while driving. I searched my vin and it said my car wasn’t included but I’m almost sure that this is what’s happening to my car. It started a few weeks ago and the wheel would just get a little stiff while driving for a minute but would go away. It would go days in between episodes but gradually started happening more, daily at least once now. The steering gets stiff and sticks when you turn the wheel either way slightly. You can fairly easily overpower the friction but it jerks the wheel a little. There’s also a clunk from behind the wheel when turning slightly either way. Does this sound like it is the steering assist problem from the recall? Can I do anything to get it added? How long can I drive it like this?

The two recalls that you are referring to implicate only vehicles equipped with electronic power steering. Not all G6 production in 2006 was equipped with such a system. For example, if your 17 character VIN sequence has a "B" in it, you likely have conventional power steering. Regardless of the type of system that you have, the problem (the symptoms) that you are describing is commonly encountered and will be resolvable. Power steering systems, particularly the conventional type that do not involve sensors and electronics, are a very simple system with only several major components. Regardless of which system you have, if you want the cause of the malfunction pinpointed, and estimated for repair, please request a power steering system diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. My steering assist, I believe, is going out at random in my 2006 Pontiac G6.