Q: My car seems to lack power when I accelerate, and the rpm's are erratic.

asked by on December 06, 2016

Im curious as to what could caysr my car to drive so different after 102k miles. Ive change the spark plugs and wires, checked my fluids and have no engine faults. It just doesnt seem to run as smooth. It didn't jerk or feel like it's skipping though. Any advice would be very appreciated

Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement $171.84 - $740.29 Get a Quote

This may be related to a faulty throttle position sensor or potentially a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is dirty or faulty, this causes an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. When this is not working properly, you may also notice a strong smell of fuel. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your mass air flow sensor.