Q: My power steering light came on and I checked the fluid (there was nothing in it). I added fluid and it still was hard to steer. S

asked by on August 11, 2017

My power steering light came on. I checked the power steering fuse (80amp) and it seemed as if it burnt up? Or someone broke the top part of it and made the two teeth touch. I tried taking off the fuse but it wouldn't come off. What should I do?

Hello, thank you for writing in. If you have two issues with the power steering fluid at once, it would be very unfortunate. The lack of power steering fluid is cause for concern alone. If you are low or out, it means you have a leak. With low fluid, it is very easy to burn out the power steering pump as well. If you also happen to simultaneously have a burned fuse, you will want to replace it as well. Keep an eye on the fuse, as there was something that caused it to fail and burn out. Start by locating the power steering fluid leak. From there, you want to repair the leak, and test the power steering pump for proper pressure. This can be done with a simple gauge. Replace the pump if needed. For more help with diagnostics and repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.