Q: My gearbox is stock. Now hard to turn when not in motion and groans when I try to turn it. Help???

My steering gearbox is stock on my 84 k10. It used to squeal when turned all the way to the left and the right. After some very fun doughnuts, it's like I have no power steering at a standstill. Without the truck in motion it's almost impossible to turn the wheel without this awful groaning sound emitting from the gearbox. Even while driving, every once in awhile it gets slightly hard to turn the wheel but only for a split second and then it's gone. Steering also gets worse when braking. I need to keep that gearbox for as long as possible so my question is, can I fix it or simply just ignore it? I can understand it being a safety issue but I don't drive far. Any help and advice is welcome!!! 1984 Chevy K10 with 4inch lift on 35's with a steering stabilizer. Thanks in advance...

It is possible that the noise you are hearing could be related to the power steering pump rather than the gearbox. This can oftentimes happen when a power steering fluid leak exists.

I would recommend having the you steering symptoms diagnosed by a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to determine whether the power steering pump or the gearbox is at fault.

Once the source of the noise has been determined I would recommend having the noisy part replaced in order to avoid any safety issues that may result from a damaged power steering system.

3. My gearbox is stock. Now hard to turn when not in motion and groans when I try to turn it. Help???