Q: My exhaust is really loud at the engine. What is it?

I was driving along (car was quiet) and when I put my foot on the gas, it was so loud!! It's coming from the engine. I didn't run anything over or hit a pothole. I'm wondering how much this will cost. Can I have a friend fix it or should it go to a garage? This car is turning into a MONEY PIT!! Thank you for any help...

Hi there:

This sounds like it could be a cracked exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe that’s causing the big noise. If you’re noticing that the car is slow to accelerate also, that’s more likely the exhaust manifold that’s cracked. I’d recommend having a mobile mechanic complete a engine is making a noise inspection on your 2001 Pontiac to determine exactly what’s causing this loud noise; so they can recommend the right repairs be completed that can save you money.

3. My exhaust is really loud at the engine. What is it?