Q: My Check Engine Light is on after the fuel tank overflowed

Went to Costco's filled up tank like I usually do on Sunday pump did not shut off show's over run over on the ground my wife was driving the car it died a couple of times then it was okay and now the engine light came on did it hurt anything

A: When the fuel overflowed, the fuel system m...

When the fuel overflowed, the fuel system most likely caused the vapor recovery and tank vent to become flooded with liquid fuel. This flooding of the vent system may cause the computer to sense a problem in the fuel tank and purge valve function and set a code, turning on the Check Engine Light.

You will need to have the Check Engine Light diagnosed and any codes received cleared from memory, and then must drive the vehicle to see if the code returns. If the light does not come back on, then you may not have damaged anything by overfilling the fuel tank. If the light comes back on, then one of the fuel tank vapor system components may need to be replaced. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and what repairs are necessary.