Q: My charcoal vapor canister is clogged. I have a 1997 toyota corolla. Is there a way to clean the canister or do i need to shell o

Went to a local mechanic and they ran a thorough diagnostic saying my charcoal vapor canister was clogged. Is there a way to clean said canister or do I have to buy a new one? They are quite expensive so I am trying to save some money if I can. thank you.

If you input your year, make and model at Car-Part.com and search on "vapor canister", you will find plenty of them used for $25 on up. A used canister will be fine and generally you get at least a brief warranty which will cover you in case something is dramatically wrong with the canister (pay by credit card and that will fully protect you.).Vapor canisters are not really readily disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt. Hyper-technically, and if you are very determined, it can be done but you will end up with many hours in it. If you need assistance with the installation of the used canister, please request vapor canister service and the responding certified mechanic will get that taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My charcoal vapor canister is clogged. I have a 1997 toyota corolla. Is there a way to clean the canister or do i need to shell o