Q: My car won't crank or start when I turn the key all the lights and everything else functions and when I take the key out the light

My car won't crank or start when I turn the key all the lights and everything else functions and when I take the key out the light blink

Hello, thank you for writing in. The starting system is not very complicated. When you are not getting a crank when starting, the battery, alternator, wiring, or ignition switch are typically bad. Most common to fail is the battery or the starter. Start by testing the battery, either with a volt meter or at your local parts store. If the battery tests to be okay, you will need to turn your attention to the starter relay, and the starter itself. The relay can be tested with an ohmmeter, and replaced easily if needed. The starter can be bench tested at your local parts store, but these test CAN give false positives. For more diagnostic help contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. My car won't crank or start when I turn the key all the lights and everything else functions and when I take the key out the light