Q: My car won't accelerate past 25 mph. Check engine light is on, the code is for an oxygen sensor. 2002 Lexus GS300

asked by on July 24, 2017

Check engine light came on about 2-3 weeks ago. The code was for an oxygen sensor, bank2 sensor1. Left it until we had a chance to take it in. About a week ago I took it on a long drive and probably pushed it too hard. Then on my way home it started making this rumbling noise, like a cat purring really loud. The next day the noise was still there but I was able to take it on the freeway and drive it to work, about 10 miles. Then on my way home that evening I was able to drive it most of the way home, but it wouldn't let me accelerate past 30. I towed it the rest of the way home. Bought the correct sensor, changed it myself and erased the code. Drove it around a little after; the noise is still there, and it continues to not let me accelerate past 25-30 mph. No check engine light has come up.

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. From the explanation that you are giving me it sounds like you have a catalytic converter that is failing. When this occurs it will give you these codes and will cause a loss of power. You should have this checked out by a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, that can diagnose why there is a [power loss] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/loss-of-power-inspection

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr