Q: My car won't accelerate past 25 mph. Check engine light is on, the code is for an oxygen sensor. 2002 Lexus GS300

Check engine light came on about 2-3 weeks ago. The code was for an oxygen sensor, bank2 sensor1. Left it until we had a chance to take it in. About a week ago I took it on a long drive and probably pushed it too hard. Then on my way home it started making this rumbling noise, like a cat purring really loud. The next day the noise was still there but I was able to take it on the freeway and drive it to work, about 10 miles. Then on my way home that evening I was able to drive it most of the way home, but it wouldn't let me accelerate past 30. I towed it the rest of the way home. Bought the correct sensor, changed it myself and erased the code. Drove it around a little after; the noise is still there, and it continues to not let me accelerate past 25-30 mph. No check engine light has come up.

Hello. From the explanation that you are giving me it sounds like you have a catalytic converter that is failing. When this occurs it will give you these codes and will cause a loss of power. You should have this checked out by a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, that can diagnose why there is a [power loss] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/loss-of-power-inspection

3. My car won't accelerate past 25 mph. Check engine light is on, the code is for an oxygen sensor. 2002 Lexus GS300