Q: My car starts to run hot if I cannot maintain a consistent speed where air is moving across the engine.

My car has started to run hot when I cannot maintain a consistent speed where air is moving across the engine. This is especially true in the current hot weather. If I am on the highway and moving I am fine, the temp stays in the normal range but if I get into a situation where I am stopped in traffic or at a red light and no air is moving across the engine, the temperature gauge starts to creep up towards hot. If I turn my A/C off, that helps right away or if I start going again and get air movement the temp comes back down. What is causing this? Is my thermostat going bad? How much does that cost to fix?

A: Hey there, your car has an electric cooling...

Hey there, your car has an electric cooling fan. It should start automatically when the engine gets to a certain temperature or when you switch the A/C is on. In hot weather with the A/C on, the fan should switch to a higher speed. If the fan is not coming on, or is switching to high speed with the A/C on, that would cause a run hot condition.

Here is a simple check: open the hood and start the car with the A/C off. Depending on the temperature, the electric fan on the radiator should not be running. Switch the A/C on. The fan should come on within 30 seconds if it is hot outside. If it does not, then it could be a bad fan relay or temperature sending switch. The cost of repair will depend on the part that is faulty. If you need help having this checked, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the slight overheating issue and make adjustments to prevent further issues.