Q: My car started to overheat and the antifreeze started coming out of the top. Upon getting home I added more antifreeze for it just

asked by on March 20, 2018

My car started to overheat and antifreeze started boiling over.Upon arriving home I added more coolant only to have it drain back out immediately. I took a closer look and noticed a belt completely shredded and the pulley I believe is done for.It is not the serpantine belt? So could the faulty belt cause the car to overheat like that or did the overheating cause the malfunction with the belt.

Hi Luke. Thanks for contacting us today. The belt is likely the serpentine belt, which powers the water pump among other systems on your car. It’s more than likely that the belt breaking caused the water pump to fail, and thus create the overheating issue. The best way to proceed is having the serpentine belt replaced and see if the cooling system resolves itself. Hopefully, there was no further damage done to the motor when it overheated.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr