Q: My car squeals like death when I brake but only shortly after starting it, why is that?

For about a year my car has been squealing when I brake until it's been moving for a minute or two. When I took it to an auto shop they said it was because the brakes were rusted. I didn't have the problem for about two days before it returned. Could there be another problem or is it not fixed? What should I do?

Brake squeal is actually a high frequency vibration. The best way to reduce it is to disassemble whichever brakes - front, rear, or all 4 wheels - that is causing the squeal. A light sanding of the pads/rotors or shoes/drums if so equipped. Also, use a quality brake lubricant on the backs of the brake pads where they contact the brake calipers. If the rear brakes are drum brakes, use the lubricant to lube the points on the brake backing plate that the brake shoes contact. If unsure, have a certified technician inspect your brakes,such as one from YourMechanic.

3. My car squeals like death when I brake but only shortly after starting it, why is that?