Q: My car's engine intermittently stalls

Has run great, but lately I'll be driving and engine will just shut off. I pull over and it starts right up and I drive away. Today it stalled on me, I couldn't pull over right away and it just started by itself. We had the fuel pump changed for a noise issue 2 1/2 yrs ago, they changed the relay and filter also. Any ideas?

Hello. If the engine is just shutting off then it may be an electrical issue with the ignition switch or the main relay. If the engine starts sputtering before it turns off and then it starts up again then that new fuel pump may have an issue or it may have an ignition problem. I have also had crankshaft position sensors fail on this engine and cause this.

Since it is intermittent it can be hard to diagnose. I usually install a scan tool to monitor the sensor readings when the vehicle is going to stall. This can indicate to me if it is a sensor issue or if it is related to the fuel system. If those look fine then I look further into the ignition system to see if there is a failure in the secondary ignition system.

If you need to have this intermittent stalling problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this problem.

3. My car's engine intermittently stalls