Q: My car's electronic things work (lights, radio, dome light, etc.) but car won't turn over, it only makes clicking sound?

So, could this mean I need a new battery as the original one is still in the car, or could it be the starter? Or could it be something else? It starts to turn over, but then just makes a ticking sound like a second hand on a watch.

I don't want to take it to a dealer or mechanic and get "taken" so I'd like to go in with some idea of what the issue might be. I hooked the car up to an "external battery charging kit" but I'm thinking that might not have enough juice for a totally dead battery - if that's what it is. This happened after a REALLY cold (2 degrees) night in Colorado. It worked fine the day before.

3. My car's electronic things work (lights, radio, dome light, etc.) but car won't turn over, it only makes clicking sound?