Q: My car needs new engine, should I make the repair or sell it?

Engine needs to be replaced. We have a line on 2005 with 150000km or a 2009 with 120000km. Found out FORDs have engine issues from 2004-2009 and we are wondering if we should take the change to replace the engine for $5000 or try to sell the vehicle as is.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. This is one of those questions that’s honestly very difficult to answer. If you’re really fond of your truck, then making the investment to replace the engine might be a good decision. However, if a motor is damaged, the transmission might also be shot, causing you to invest in that replacement.

It might be in your best interest to sell it for what you can and buy a newer used truck with a strong running engine; as that may save you time, money, and frustration in the long run.