Q: My car makes a whining sound whenever I accelerate. whenever I select drive it goes to gear 1 instead of D on the dashboard

Whenever I accelerate I hear a whining sound. Secondly, whenever I select D the dashboard shows gear 1 instead of D. P, R, and N are working well but D goes directly to 1 instead of D.

Thanks.

The whining sound may be related to a couple of possibilities, but is most commonly associated with an alternator that is beginning to fail or in some cases a water pump that is beginning to fail. If the alternator were beginning to fail, you would likely see a battery light on indicating low battery voltage. Generally, when a water pump is going bad, you may hear a bit of a whining sound combined with the pump leaking. The most common place for the water pump to leak from is the pulley shaft seal which is in the front of the pump where the shaft comes out of the pump housing. When the pump is leaking, it will typically cause the engine to overheat as well.

The issue related to your gear selection indicator sounds like a problem with the transmission range sensor, also known as the transmission position sensor. This sensor is responsible for sending data or input to the PCM relating to the transmission in order for the PCM to properly control it. When this sensor is not working properly, you may notice the transmission may not go into the specified gear selected or in some cases it may shift on its own or not allow the vehicle to start. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose and repair.

3. My car makes a whining sound whenever I accelerate. whenever I select drive it goes to gear 1 instead of D on the dashboard