Q: My car makes a loud noise whrn accelerating in low gear

asked by on May 12, 2016

I have noticed that for the past 5 or 6 months, my car makes a loud squeal/whine/whistle noise when taking off from a stop in low gear. It goes away after 3rd gear. It sounds like it's coming from under the car, near the middle. I haven't been able to figure it out. I have taken it to the dealership a few times, and have been told that all Cherokees make that noise and it's from air going into the throttle body. I don't feel like it is though. I can accelerate in 4th and 5th gear and don't hear anything. What could this be from?

Doing some research, it looks like this is a fairly common problem, all signs point to the driveshaft being the cause. The driveshaft connects the transmission, or transfer case, to the drive wheels. The noise is most likely caused by a bad bearing in the drive shaft. I suggest you have a trained professional inspect your vehicle and pinpoint the source of the noise to confirm whether or not my suspicions are correct.