Q: In limp mode following a catalytic convertor repair. Have driven 70 mIles in limp mode.

asked by on February 09, 2017

The mechanic told me that my car will experience limp mode after changing the convertor so I drove it to work and back home which is 70 miles round trip. How long should it take to retrain the transmission and go back to driving normally?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The only purpose of the catalytic converter is to reduce exhaust emissions. The converter is within the exhaust system and functions as part of the vehicle’s emission control system. Excepting only an unusual circumstance where the converter is physically plugged up, the converter has no effect on your transmission or engine. Limp mode is usually accompanied by illumination of the check engine light (CEL). If the CEL is on, there will be trouble codes that can help identify the cause of the problem you are having. Consequently, I recommend you request a check engine light diagnostic. During such a diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM. Using those codes the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are tested to pinpoint the cause of the fault or the reason why the check engine light has illuminated. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.