Q: My car lost power with the engine revving. Then the wheels locked down and died and won't start back up

asked by on November 06, 2016

Driving around 70 on interstate,No check engine light or overheating or Any noticeable problems, then lost power to the wheels,giving more gas revved the engine but No power to wheels,then while pulling over the tires(I think just back but possibly all 4)locked down just long enough to bark the tires, then about the time I got stopped on the shoulder it died and won't even come close to starting but will turn over. Does not show Any error code for the key dance thing.

Car does not move when I step on the gas pedal Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car starts and then dies Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It sounds like you may have experienced an internal failure of the transmission, rear differential, or the brake system. Check for marks on the pavement for the tires and determine if it was all four or only two of the tires that barked. If it was all four, I would suspect a brake system problem that would affect all four wheels like an abs pump malfunction. If it was only two wheels, determine if it was only the front or rear. If the front, suspect a brake malfunction that would affect both front wheels such as the abs pump or other related component. If the rear, suspect a possible internal transmission or rear differential that has failed.

As you did not notice any kind of growling or howling noise from the rear and that the engine revved without power to the wheels, I would strongly suspect a transmission failure which could be related to the no start condition you currently have as well. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not move inspection and a car does not start inspection.