Q: My car is turning off while I idle

I had changed my alternator and battery three months ago. Now my check engine light came in and the codes run for a lean o2 sensor . Now I'm expirencing a problem where my car won't hold a charge and if I jump it off it will cut off while I'm Idling

Hello. If the car will not hold a charge then either the new alternator is not charging or there is another electrical issue. Most of the time this is caused by a bad connection at the alternator.

As for the leak code and the idling issue it sounds like there is a vacuum leak. It can be an issue with a defective idle control valve that is stuck open or a vacuum leak in one of the vacuum hoses. I usually check the hoses first and then I test the idle control valve. Once I can get the car to run right I can test the charging system.

If you are planning on having this charging system and lean condition checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home to diagnose the issue and make an accurate repair.

3. My car is turning off while I idle