Q: My car is putting off code p-0500 vehicle speed sensor.

Sense I've had my car (3 years) The code p0500 comes on and off. If I don't drive on the freeway for a few weeks, the light will turn off. Every once in a while my car will automatically start going faster or slowing down if I'm driving between 60-75mph. But when I hooked up my car to the high grade code reader, I individually looked up the speed sensor and it was fine. I drove it for over an hour with it. My question is, does this sound like a wiring issue, or that I need to change my sensor? When I bought my car it was only 45,000 miles on it. I've read that's way too soon for the part to go bad. I've cleaned it and nothing. I was also told there's more than one speed sensor on manual cars. Please help!

A: Hello. The symptoms you describe can be pro...

Hello. The symptoms you describe can be produced by both a wiring and sensor issue. A defective sensor may produce an unreliable, intermittent signal which can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Faulty wiring can also produce unreliable signal which can cause the code to come and go. I would first verify that the wiring to the sensor is sound, as that could definitely cause those symptoms, and then move on to testing the speed sensor. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can visit your home or office to inspect your vehicle’s issues.