Q: My car is not starting

I am having issues with my bmw 5 series 530 xi 2005 model.. I woke up this morning to start the car which worked well. Went back in to freshen up to go out and ever since the car has refused to start.. All light and functions are working including the AC.. Each time I press the start button, the light on the dash board turns up, the fuel meter moves indicating the fuel guage and every other thing and I hear a double click in the bonnet which I think is the kick starter and a screwing noise from the back, don't know what's causing that and were the noise is coming from till I press to turn off and it all goes off.. But yet the car engine is not starting.

I've tried reaching for the kick starter, use a rod to hit to see if that will work, no it didn't.. Also tried jump starting the car from the bonnet, still same thing. I took out my car battery, tried another charged battery and still the engine didn't start. I have a mechanic here with me in the house but I need your help.

A: Your car has advanced systems that utilizes...

Your car has advanced systems that utilizes a CAN (computer area network) for communication with all its systems. Your starter motor will not turn if the CAS (car access system) can't confirm that certain conditions do not exist. It could be as simple as the brake light switch failing, a problem with the security system, or one of several other things. Because of the nature of the design of your BMW 530i, you will need to find a BMW experienced technician who possessed the correct scanner to diagnose your car's turn over issue.

You seem to have already made some attempts to diagnose this yourself. You tapped on the starter which is a valid test. There is one caveat to doing this, you need to tap on the starter while someone is attempting to crank the motor. In addition, I would use a test light to see if the starter is receiving power when the key is in the start position. If you don't have power on the exciter wire to the starter, you may need to have a more in-depth diagnosis done on the electrical wiring in order to pinpoint the fault.