Q: My car is having power issues. I get a message that says engine power reduced/ service traction along with headlights flickering and engine cutting out.

asked by on December 18, 2016

Recently my car has been doing weird things. I get a message that says engin power reduced/ service traction. The car also revs up by itself for a while and then goes back to normal. Saturday on the way back to work my car's engine disabled along with those other messages and after waiting for a few minutes I was able to start it. I think it might be a bad catalytic converter but I don't know for sure. Also when I sit in the dark while it is running when it revs up the headlights flicker as if the car is loosing power. Do you possibly know what could be the problem?

Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote
Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check the battery and alternator to the vehicle. With all of the electrical issues that you are having, it sounds as if the battery is not charged and making the engine stall out due to lack power. Check the battery for a 12.6 volt reference and load test the battery. If the battery fails, then replace the battery. If the battery passes, then check the alternator and see if its putting out the full amount of amps. If you need further assistance with electrical issues, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.