Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls

Q: My car has idling problems that come and go

asked by on

Hi, Recently I have been having troubles with my car, I have spoken to the local mechanics about this and they are honestly quite useless and didn't seem to have any idea. Anyway, my car has a 2.4 litre Mitsubishi petrol engine in it. - 90% of the time it will start and run fine however the idle is never consistent. - The other 10% the engine will either start and then die immediately, or will surge anywhere from 250-500 rpm. Pressing down on the accelerator will keep it going however as soon as I take my foot off the engine will stop again.

I would like to know what could cause this. I have replaced spark plugs so I don't think it would be that. I have also cleaned the throttle body out.

It has also been suggested that a vacuum leak Could cause this. There is a high pitched whistling noise coming from the engine but I cannot find it.

A faulty o2 sensor has also been suggested. But really I am at a loss to explain.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Need advice from certified mechanic? Get help now!

Over 1000 mechanics are ready to answer your question.
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Ask a Mechanic
(100% Free)

Have a car question? Get free advice from our top-rated mechanics.

Ask A Mechanic
Over 10,000 questions answered!

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: Hello I have a 2001 Montero sport 3.0 that died and tries to start but won't acts like it's way out of time. Would a bad CPS cause this problem?

Hi there. A crankshaft position sensor will cause the engine to not start if the sensor has failed. The crankshaft position sensor is designed to tell the ECM (computer) when the cylinder number one is at top dead center and...

Q: Stalling at 2500 to 3000 rpm and dying, idles fine - 1990 Nissan 300ZX

Hello! I would check the mass air flow sensor output signal. Measure the voltage with the key on at idle, increasing rpm, and then when it starts to run bad. Compare this voltage to specs. If you need help with...

Q: The Check Engine Light battery comes on while driving - how can I figure out what the problem is?

This may be related to a weak battery, a failing alternator, or possibly a bad voltage regulator. These are all components of your car's charging system. When any of these are not working properly, this will cause your battery light...

Related articles

How to Avoid Back Pain in a Car
If you have back problems, sitting in a car for an extended period of time can be excruciating. Even without back problems, you could experience discomfort and soreness from...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...
P2103 OBD-II Trouble Code: Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit High
P2103 means there is a fault with the throttle actuator control motor circuit, likely due to a defective electrical component or part.