Q: My car fan runs on 2 speeds - can I replace the radiator fan resistor?

At times radiator fan will come on high and then go to a lower speed or vice versa and will continue to run on high even after the car is turned off for a few minutes. But if I turn off the car when fan is running on low speed it will turn off with the ignition.

Hello - I believe this is normal behavior, and handles cooling the engine down appropriately (i.e. fan speed changing based on how hot the engine was when running) upon shutdown. There are problem cases where the radiator fan runs on high speed all the time, and in some cases doesn’t shut off as it should. If you believe this behavior is incorrect, I would recommend having an electrical components are not working inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, provide a deeper diagnosis of this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My car fan runs on 2 speeds - can I replace the radiator fan resistor?