Q: I have white smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe. Could it be a bad ccv?

I have a 2003 325i e46 m54 and i have had the check engine light on. When i start the car it runs at a rough idle and white smoke comes out tailpipe. I was driving the car and it began to sputter and hesitate when I tried to accelerate and when came to a stop sign it turned off and when i tried to start the car it wouldn't. The car lights were on and the would turn over as they say but that's when a white/grayish smoke started coming out. I took it to a shop and they changed the sparks pulgs and coils and was better for a day and a half. The shop to me does great work and are trustworthy in my opinion. They will fix your issues from what I have heard from people and my own experience with other vehicles that I have taken to them and will fix the smaller things also to save try and save you money. I started it the next morning and it was back to the same. I noticed when this happened that the fuel was being consumed faster the usual. Could it be the CCV amongst other issues?

White smoke makes me worry about the head gasket. If there is coolant getting into the combustion chambers, it makes a nasty smelling white smoke Burning coolant can have a very strong smell, from a sweet kind of odor to a harsh acrid smell that burns your eyes and is usually accompanied by overheating. If that’s what you have you need to check for head gasket or manifold gasket problems. Oil smoke can appear whitish-blue and has an oily smell to it. If you have oil smoke, you could have problems in your crankcase ventilation, valve stem seals, or piston rings. Burning oil will foul the plugs and lead to a misfire. You need to get the source of this smoke checked out. It will probably also be the source of your performance problem. If you contact Your Mechanic, you can have a technician come to your home or office to check out your BMW and advise you as to the next step.