Q: My car does a little jerk between 30 and 40 mph then it goes away when I speed up? There are no engine lights on or anything so wh

asked by on December 07, 2017

No engine lights on but it does this small jerk between 30 to 40 mph just jerks one time but after I speed up it doesn't do it and it does it every once in a while not every time I drive it.

The jerking could be due to the turbocharger (if equipped) or it could be a transmission shift issue. If turbocharger related, it is probably "normal". If transmission related, some tests would have to be performed to determine the cause and the possibility of ECU/TCM software updates should be considered. To distinguish between the two broad possibilities (engine, if turbocharger equipped, versus transmission) requires that a mechanic drive the vehicle. If you desire a diagnostic, please schedule via YourMechanic’s automatic transmission shift diagnostic service request page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.