Q: My brake lights work when my lights are off but do not work when I turn my lights on. My tail lights work when lights are on.

My brake lights work when my lights are off but do not work when I turn my lights on. My tail lights work when lights are on. Jeep Grand cherokee laredo 2002

It sounds like you may have a fault at the brake light switch circuit which controls a number of things in the vehicle. This switch indicates when the brake pedal is pushed and triggers the brake lights to come on. In addition, this switch also allows the cruise control to be disabled when pressed as well. Often times, this will also set a diagnostic code, which signifies that the circuit voltage is lower than normal and will trigger the check engine light to come on. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic to come to your location and diagnose and inspect the vehicle.

3. My brake lights work when my lights are off but do not work when I turn my lights on. My tail lights work when lights are on.