Q: My 3 year old water pump is leaking. Is it covered under warranty?

Pep Boys put a new motor in my car 3 years ago it cost about 7 Grand and today the engine light came on and they said the water pump is leaking and I have to replace it its almost $1,000 shouldn't they cover it...... the engine light was actually for a sensor but they told me the water pump is leaking

Whether Pep Boys should warranty the water pump or not is only dependent on the warranty details. I can say that most warranties from repair shops are for twelve months and 12,000 miles. You will need to refer to the warranty documents to be sure. If you are outside of the mileage or the warranty period, they are not legally liable. The same applies to the sensor.

Warranties will specify what they do and do not cover. Digging into the details of warranty paperwork can be tedious, but it can often pay dividends. Oftentimes, maintenance items, such as a water pump, are not covered under many warranties.

I recommending having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine if the water pump needs to be replaced.