Q: My 2011 Acadia is leaking engine oil. Above the drain plug is wet- it's dripping off the drain plug

I was changing my oil when I noticed a leak before I pulled the drain plug. Above the plug it was wet with engine oil so I know it's not a leaky oil pan drain plug. I'm sure this is a common issue what do you think? Timing cover oil pan? What's the cost? Would gm cover any of it? What usually leaks? I'm just out of warranty<one year. Only 47k miles

A: Oil leaking above. the oil pan can be comi...

Oil leaking above. the oil pan can be coming from a number of places depending on how far above the pan, the oil is leaking from. The oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket/seal, or even the oil pressure switch are just a few places that oil can be leaking from. If the vehicle is still covered under the powertrain warranty, some instances of oil/fluid leaks, may be covered at no charge to you. Consult your warranty information and/or your dealer’s service department for more information on that.

If it is not covered, then a certified technician can look into the source of the oil leak visually, or by performing a dye test. A special dye that glows a florescent color under special lighting can be added to the engine oil. After the engine is run for a bit, the dye will come out with any leaking oil and show under the black light.