Q: My 2010 dodge avenger's ac is not cold. why?

My 2010 dodge avenger's ac is not cold. Compressor is fine and clutch will engage. took it to the shop and it will not take refridgerant. he said something about a filter that goes through the firewall needing to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what he is talking about?? or if they have seen this before?

The "filter" being referred to is commonly known as the Expansion Valve. It is a small tube with a metal screen between the low pressure and high pressure sides of the air conditioning system. If it gets clogged with debris, it will effect refrigerant pressures, which will effect how cold your air is. If or when the expansion valve - or any parts of the a/c system that requires opening the system up - the Receiver/Dryer, also known as the Filter/Dryer, should be replaced as well. The dryer is there to do just that - remove moisture and contaminants from the refrigerant. It contains a desiccant (think those little packets inside a pill bottle or package) that is very good at absorbing moisture. It is so good at it that if you take a new dryer out of the box and leave it exposed to the air, it will be useless within an hour. That’s why whenever the a/c system is opened for repairs, it must be replaced as well.

3. My 2010 dodge avenger's ac is not cold. why?