Q: My 2005 jag xj8 is leaking oil from underneath. I've been told it is front engine seal. How much to repair?

My 2005 jag xj8 is leaking oil from bottom. I've been told it is front seal. How much to repair

That is a common leak point, although keep in mind, on older engines there can easily be multiple leak points. Sometimes the front crankshaft seal will actually cut a groove in the sealing surface on the harmonic balancer. If a groove has been cut, there is a low cost replacement sleeve that should be installed on the balancer to ensure that the new seal actually seals. If the sealing surface is re-usable, you can get an instant quote for your specific vehicle by using YourMechanic’s crankshaft seal replacement service page. Just click on "Get a Quote". Once the harmonic balancer is removed, the mechanic will determine the condition of the sealing surface. Most shops will omit this step although technically it is required for the best results. If you have further questions or concerns as you decide what to do, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.

3. My 2005 jag xj8 is leaking oil from underneath. I've been told it is front engine seal. How much to repair?