Q: My 2005 honda minivan ran fine then a hour later it wont start

asked by on August 29, 2017

I started my van fine this morning to drive my kids to school. I got them to and from without a problem. About a hour later I tried to start it to go to work but now it wont start. I tried to jump it but that didn't work. Then my neighbor banged on the starter and it started. I drove it for about 10 min, parked it again, then restarted just to make sure it would restart and it did. I then shut it off again and went in the store. I came out about 5 min later and tried to start it and now I'm back at square 1.

Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1090.49 Get a Quote

What you are describing sounds like a faulty starter solenoid. A faulty starter solenoid will generally produce a clicking sound when turning the key. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. In some cases if the starter solenoid is faulty it may cause the starter gear to remain out too long which can cause the starter gear to grind against the flywheel after the engine has started. This is noticeable by a very loud grinding sound. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr