Q: My 2003 Pontiac Bonneville will run well for a short time then it will bog down chug and die.

My Bonneville will start and run like a top for a short time then will bog down, chug and die. If I try to start it after it dies, I have to pump the gas to keep it going and it runs badly when I do with huge clouds of weird smelling exhaust. Sometimes if i continue to pump the gas i can get the exhaust to subside and the car to idle normally for a bit until it dies again a short time later and the process starts over. If i wait an hour or two it will start again and run well for another short time. I can hear the fuel pump engage when the key is turned on. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the mass air flow sensor, but that did nothing except give me a large bill and leave me stranded on the side of the road minutes after leaving the shop.

3. My 2003 Pontiac Bonneville will run well for a short time then it will bog down chug and die.