Q: My 1987 jaguar VandenPlas has been idle or sitting for the last 4 or 5 months. The breaks were working then, but not now.

My 1987 Jaguar Vanden Plas has been idle or sitting for the last 4 or 5 months . The brakes were working when last driven; however, I had it towed to a repair shop because it wouldn't start. The mechanic repaired the problem of it not starting, but then the mechanic told me that the brakes were no good. He suggested bleeding the brakes, and according to him it could possibly even be the master cylinder that was causing the brake problem. I told him the brakes were working just fine when last driven, and he said, "Well, they're not now. He said the car should not be driven! What do you think the problem is?

Perform an inspection on your brakes and look for signs of leakage, worn or damaged rotors and drums, and worn or damaged pads and shoes. If the system is good on the inspection and the fluid is full, then test the brakes in an alley where there are no cars. If the vehicle stops good, then there is no real issue with the brake system. If there is a leak on the master cylinder, check where the leak is and have it repaired. If there is no leak on the master cylinder the the brakes are working fine, then I suggest having another technician at a different shop or a Your Mechanic technician look at the brake system for a second opinion.

3. My 1987 jaguar VandenPlas has been idle or sitting for the last 4 or 5 months. The breaks were working then, but not now.