Q: Misfiring - 1998 Buick Century

I have a 1998 Buick Century Custom V6 - 3.1L. I've replaced a lot of things on it with this recent tune up. I got my codes check when I had a check engine light on. It was the o2 sensor. Checked under the hood only to discover that my o2 sensor fuse blew. We replaced it and the check engine light has gone off. Currently waiting to see if it comes back on and the fuse blows. It has not so far. If it does then the part will need to be replaced. It has been misfiring pretty bad lately. I recently changed the spark plugs and wires. We even tried fuel injector cleaner which made my gas tank last more than 2 days. That was nice. I would like some advice to why it could possibly be misfiring if the spark plugs have been replaced. Could it be the coils? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hi there. First thing to check is whether there are problem codes, even if the Check Engine Light is not illuminated. Yes, a likely problem with the misfire is the coil packs, which may or may not set a problem code depending on how they are failing.

By the way, the O2 sensor fuse was for the heater element portion of the O2 sensor, and not likely to return since you installed a new O2 sensor - which includes a new heating element. Misfiring can also be caused by water in the gas, ignition pickup or module problems, and throttle body injection issues.

I would recommend having an engine is misfiring inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage, and a give you a cost estimate for repairs.