Q: Should the lights on the Rev counter be red when car is running?

I just noticed this eve that the small dashed lights on my Rev counter are illuminated when I was driving. The lights from 5-8 were red. Is this ok?

A: The engine is designed to not go over a cer...

The engine is designed to not go over a certain amount of RPM or engine damage can result. If you look in any vehicle that has an RPM gauge, it will have what is called a red line that the engine should not cross to protect against damage. Some engines red line is at 5000 rpm and others can go much higher. Most vehicles with a manual transmission use the RPM gauge so you get an idea when to shift gears with out over revving the engine past its red line. These lights could mean that something went awry with the engine. I recommend having the warning lights checked by a mechanic who can scan your computer for codes in order to diagnose the issue.