Q: misfire cylinder 1 and 2

this started 2 weeks ago and has only happened a few times maybe 5 times now the last two being today and yesterday. after driving home from work (15-20min drive) and stopping at daycare to pick up my son, when i start the car back up the check engine almost instantly starts blinking and i can hear the misfire its doesnt sound like it normally does its almost impossible to drive the higher the gear i go and it stinks like burning oil or something. checked with code reader and i get misfire on cylinder 1 and 2. what is happening and why obly after the car has been running?

A: Hello. A misfire can be caused by a variety...

Hello. A misfire can be caused by a variety of components. Due to the oil smell we can focus in on a few potential issues. If you are noticing any kind of smoke during acceleration or deceleration, then you may have piston ring or valve stem damage. These would allow oil to pass through to the spark plugs and cause the affected cylinders to misfire. Pull the spark plug from both of the cylinders and check them for signs of oil or other fouling. You may also have an electrical problem. The cylinders are on opposite sides of the engine. Typically this means there is an issue with the coil pack. There is further testing you can do with a multimeter. You will want to pull up the specifications for your vehicle and compare them with your readings. There are further tests that need to be performed in order to