Q: Mercedes ml320 2001 only go in reverse we checked the fluid its fine it all of a sudden start doing this with no indication of tra

Mercedes wont shift in to gear it barely goes into reverse but i hve to keep cuting it on an off yet it never gave me any problems befor this

A: Hello. When this occurs all of a sudden I w...

Hello. When this occurs all of a sudden I would usually start by checking the transmission control module for codes. This would let me know if there are any foreseen electrical issues.

If there are no codes then the fluid needs to be checked in the transmission. If it is low then this can occur. If the fluid level is fine but it is dark or smells burnt then the transmission has failed. Most of the time this is caused by a transmission that has failed internally or a failure in the valve body or transmission control module.

For an issue like this, it’s best to have the shifting issue diagnosed by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. One of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose and fix the issue.