Q: Mercedes Benz Vito 115CDI hot starting problem

asked by on February 07, 2017

Hi, the vito do not want to start when the engine is hot. It will crank but not start. I will then have to wait for anything from 20 to 45 min. before it will start again. I took it for a diagnostic and the mechanic picked up two faults: (1) Crank shaft position sensor (2) Glow plugs. I replaced the crank shaft sensor but the problem persists. Do I have to do another diagnostic to reset the faults found before I changed the sensor? or is the problem elsewhere? Do I have to replace the glow plugs as well? (I didn't think so, because the car starts when cold but not when hot). Thanks, Johan.

Hi there. The glow plugs are designed to help start the engine even when the engine is hot. If the code is on for the glow plugs, check the glow plug relay and timer and see if its energizing as the ignition key is turned on. If the glow plug relay and timer is not working, then it would need to be replaced. If the glow plug relay and timer is working, then the glow plugs need replaced.

If you need further assistance with your engine not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.