Q: Mazda RX rotary engine swapping with LS engines from Chevy

There is some debate going on, on the Internet. Why do people used to swap Mazda rotary engines with LS from Chevy for the Mazda RX? Is it more economical or more powerful?

A: It’s more powerful of course. The problem w...

It’s more powerful of course. The problem with those rotary engines is that, since they are older, their design is not optimal. They have Apex seals and they don’t have piston range, but more of a rounded triangle. At the angle of each apex of the triangle, there is a seal.

When those seals wear out, they backfire and burn oil. They won’t get a good gas mileage but they’d be very fast. That’s why people do it, because the rotary engine’s are basically tiny engines. They are pretty fast for a light car but they don’t put out that much horsepower. An LS engine puts out a lot more, but you’re not going to get a good gas mileage.