Q: Manual transmission won't go into gear

My car starts, but I can't get the manual transmission to go into gear. In addition, the clutch pedal is really loose when I press down on it. There also seems to be oil leaking from underneath my car, but I can't tell what kind it is.

If the transmission will not go into gear and the clutch pedal is loose, it generally means a failure in either the clutch master or slave cylinder. The clutch hydraulic system will need to be checked. For your clutch, you will most likely need to bleed the system to make the clutch operate again. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the training and expertise to diagnose your shifting issue and your clutch problem in order to make the correct repairs.

3. Q: Manual transmission won't go into gear