Q: M-20 Transmission

I have a muncie 4 speed with a partial vin # can you tell me what it was originally put in (chev, olds, pontiac)? The date code is P8S21 (1968 car), case # is 3945660, two rings on input shaft, This tells me it is a 1968 M20. It has a partial vin # of 28U160593 stamped on main case. Can you tell me what it was originally put in?

Hello, thank you for your question. The website www.Davids4Speeds.com is a principal authority on these transmissions. According to the owner, (David West; Tel: 262.513.8331), the partial Vehicle Identification Number (28U160593) that you submitted decomposes as follows: The first digit "2" represents Pontiac, the second digit "8" represents year 1968, the third digit "U" represents the assembly plant in Lordstown Ohio and the last 6 digits are the last 6 VIN serial numbers. Pontiac Firebirds were assembled in Lordstown during 1968. Hopefully, this information fulfills your request. Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns and if you are in YourMechanic’s service area, please consider our repair and maintenance services.