Q: Loud roaring but turbo cannot be heard, no changes in horsepower

asked by on May 24, 2016

While driving at average speed, I accelerated but I couldn't hear the turbo. The car started making loud roaring noise. This sounded as if the car has strong horsepower from the outside, but I wasn't able to hear the turbo. I am not sure if the turbo is working as I haven't seen any changes in horsepower. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If you are not hearing your turbocharger while accelerating but the vehicle still accelerates as normal, I would not consider this an issue to worry about. However, if you don’t hear the turbo and you feel that your vehicle is lacking horsepower, an issue may be present.

I would recommend having your vehicle’s turbo system inspected by a certified technician for loss of power. If it turns out that your turbo is in fact not working, the technician would relay his/her findings over to you to make a repair decision. If the turbo is working fine but you are still not satisfied, you could always have a dynomometer test ran on your vehicle to show what horsepower numbers it is actually putting out. This should give your some piece of mind.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr