Q: Loud roaring but turbo cannot be heard, no changes in horsepower

While driving at average speed, I accelerated but I couldn't hear the turbo. The car started making loud roaring noise. This sounded as if the car has strong horsepower from the outside, but I wasn't able to hear the turbo. I am not sure if the turbo is working as I haven't seen any changes in horsepower. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you are not hearing your turbocharger while accelerating but the vehicle still accelerates as normal, I would not consider this an issue to worry about. However, if you don’t hear the turbo and you feel that your vehicle is lacking horsepower, an issue may be present.

I would recommend having your vehicle’s turbo system inspected by a certified technician for loss of power. If it turns out that your turbo is in fact not working, the technician would relay his/her findings over to you to make a repair decision. If the turbo is working fine but you are still not satisfied, you could always have a dynomometer test ran on your vehicle to show what horsepower numbers it is actually putting out. This should give your some piece of mind.

3. Loud roaring but turbo cannot be heard, no changes in horsepower